Feb 8, 2007

Narcolepsy and Hallucinations: Part II

***Before reading this post you may want to check out the post previous to this (just scroll the page or click the link if you must), titled Narcolepsy and Hallucinations: Part I.***

To make matter worse for Narcoleptics that suffer hallucination, the hallucinations often times accompany sleep paralysis.

Well isn't that just wonderful, not only can you not move while you're falling asleep or waking up, you're seeing/hearing things! And according to everyone, but Standford, what you're seeing and hearing is often really freaky!

So I guess maybe don't watch horror movies ever ... and just try to be like Peter Pan and think Happy Thoughts all the time...

Fortunately I have yet to experience sleep paralysis, however, if I ever do I'm just going to try and think of big turtles holding the hands of nice old ladies in hopes that Stanford's definition is most accurate.

I am pretty sure I suffer from mild hallucinations. I know that from time to time I have seen things (more on those stories later), and last semester I woke up at one point int he middle of the night to use the restroom, and as I was
falling back asleep I started hearing things and I thought someone was trying to break in to the apartment to murder me and my ex-girlfriend (she was my g/f at the time and it was at her place that this happened). I totally flipped out. I kind of thought it was a dream though, it was weird.

And the reason that I even posted about the hallucinations at all is that yesterday as I was falling asleep in the afternoon in my bedroom to catch a nap, right before falling asleep I swore I heard music. Like i heard music, but nothing was on anywhere and it was so subtle and faint that I thought if I wasnt laying perfectly still in an empty house i probably couldn't hear it. And it was driving me crazy becuase I couldn't figure out where the music was coming from ...
and then I was out.

Pretty sure that was, as NINDS puts it, an auditory delusional experience. I have those fairly frequently actually.

Well at least it's better than seeing things!

-Jim-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so the sleep paralysis has happened to me before, once. I was in a cage with the original cast of Star Trek, and we were gassed with poison gas, and I couldn't move or cry out or anything, but I was totally awake. My cousin had to literally kick my ass to knock me out of it.

Weird...I like your site! I love reading about real people's experiences with this sort of stuff...not that you are an experiment or anything...:)

Anonymous said...

I used to sleep deprive myself partying after graduating high school, and that's when I started having fits of sleep paralysis.

I'd wake up, and in lying on my back, would sense disaster was imminent. I'd wake up enough to move, but would feel like I weighed a lot more, or was *very* weak.

The scariest part was that I'd act totally crazy. I'd leave the back door of the apartment, try my hardest to scale the brick wall around our back porch (successfully, and there was a gate right there too), and walk around the complex until the feeling wore off.

Another time, I'd fallen asleep in a chair at a friend's apartment (a few doors down). I woke up, opened my eyes, and thought I could will my shoes onto my feet. Then I felt a reverberating feeling that our planet was hurling toward the sun. I was in a panic, and grabbed my shoes, one of someone else’s shoes, a hat, and went to tell them I was leaving. They asked if I was okay, I said yes, and then started waking out of it. Embarrassing!

After that I kind of linked it to happening when I was sleep deprived. I had more minor occurrences after getting my life straight that kind of backed up my idea. I try not to sleep deprive myself now.